|Scene from the new Battle of Marianna documentary|
This small but bloody and significant battle took place on September 27, 1864. A Union force of 700 men from the 2nd Maine Cavalry, 1st Florida Cavalry (US), 82nd U.S. Colored Troops (USCT) and 86th USCT attacked the Northwest Florida community from two directions. Confederate defenders from the 5th Florida Cavalry, 1st Florida Reserves, Alabama State Militia, Marianna Home Guard, Greenwood Club Cavalry and Campbellton Cavalry fought a fierce action to defend the town.
By the time the battle was over Union general Alexander Asboth had been badly wounded, the 2nd Maine Cavalry had suffered its bloodiest day of the war and 20% of the male population of Marianna had been killed, wounded or taken prisoner. To learn more, please visit www.battleofmarianna.com.
The 150th anniversary commemoration will feature a reenactment and a wide range of other events and activities. Here are some of the highlights by date:
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
- Debate of the Commanders (a spirited discussion between Brig. Gen. Alexander Asboth, USA, and Col. A.B. Montgomery, CSA) - 6:30 p.m. at the Jackson County Public Library (Free).
- Guided Battlefield Tour - 2:30 p.m., departs from the historic Russ House & Visitor Center on West Lafayette Street (Free).
- Historical Conference featuring authors and historians - 4 p.m. at St. Luke's Episcopal Church Parish Hall on West Lafayette Street (Free).
- SCV Memorial Service - 6 p.m. at Riverside Cemetery (Free).
- "Spirits of St. Luke's" ("Spirits" of those buried in the church cemetery will meet visitors!) - 7 p.m. at St. Luke's Episcopal Church on West Lafayette Street (Free).
- Memorial Service for Union Dead - 9 a.m. at Riverside Cemetery (Free).
- UDC Memorial Service - 10 a.m. at Confederate Park (Free).
- Tolling of the Bells for the dead of both sides - 11 a.m. throughout town (Free).
- Reenactment of the Battle of Marianna - 11:05 a.m. at Courthouse Square in Downtown Marianna (Free).
- Venders, Sutlers & Living History Demonstrations - 11:30 am. at Madison Street Park.
- Open House at the historic Davis West House - 11:30 am. at intersection of Madison & Putnam Streets (Free).
- Open House at the historic Russ House & Visitor Center - 11:30 a.m. at 4318 W. Lafayette Street (Free).
- Battlefield Tours (Every 30 Minutes) - 12:30 p.m. - 3 p.m. beginning at historic Russ House & Visitor Center (Free).
- Tour of Homes - 12:30 p.m. at locations throughout the city (More information available at historic Russ House & Visitor Center).
- Civil War Surgery Demonstration - 2 p.m. at the Davis-West House, corner of Madison & Putnam Streets.
- Premier of the Battle of Marianna Documentary - 3:30 p.m. at MacKinnon Hall, St. Luke's Episcopal Church on West Lafayette Street.
- Public Lands Day at Florida Caverns State Park with numerous activities and events.
If you would like to read more about the Battle of Marianna, please visit www.battleofmarianna.com.